For my blog review, I chose to read and respond to
Toby’s Non-Fiction book, “Billionaire’s Ball.” This book, by Linda McQuaig,
discusses the current state of the US economy, and how it affects society. As
of now, it’s much like it was in the “roaring twenties,” just before the market
crash and the Great Depression. Toby’s response to this book caught my eye
because of the fact that I’ve read other books on a similar topic, of which I
find very interesting, and because of the possibility and likelihood of another
country-wide depression, maybe not on a scale as massive as that of the Great
Depression, but one none the less.
I was drawn in to this post, not only from the
topic, but also from Toby’s word choice and personal way of engaging readers
with facts and statements that hook the reader, allowing them to be drawn in as
I was and becoming concerned with the topic, as I became concerned. I have read
books about the Great Depression, and if, as “Billionaire’s Ball” implies, we
are soon to be heading down the road as the economy was in the 20s, where there
are people who have acquired unheard of amounts of money, and then there are
people who are living in the lowest reaches of poverty, making one single
dollar a year to certain CEO’s $17,000.
Impending events, such as what may be the future
for American’s as shown in this book, should be a huge concern of everyone,
and, as I believe Toby and McQuaig have attempted to do with their writings,
need to be recognized and taken heed of. McQuaig most likely wrote her
Non-Fiction novel to bring awareness to America’s misfortunes during the Great
Depression, and also to open the eyes of the public, (and most importantly the
people who have attained these large sums of wealth) so that citizens will be
able to stifle the new depression before it begins, and instead of being
broken, again, by events such as country-wide economy drops, becoming ever so
stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment